Dr. Laurean Laurent Mussa
Laurean Laurent Mussa is a Lecturer in the Department of Private Law. He joined the University in 2008. An experienced scholar in land law, Dr Mussa holds Bachelor of Laws degree (LL. B-2007), Master of Laws degree (LL. M-2009) and Doctor of Philosophy in Law degree (Ph. D-2016) from the University of Dar es Salaam. He is also an Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania, Notary Public and Commissioner for Oaths. Dr Mussa is a member of Tanganyika Law Society and East Africa Law Society, Bar Associations for Tanzania Mainland and East African countries respectively.
Within the School, Dr Mussa has had several responsibilities. Between 2011 & 2012, Dr Mussa was an Assistant Liaison Officer of the Law School Programme hosted by the then Faculty of Law. In 2012, Dr Mussa was the School’s Timetable Coordinator. Moreover, from 2017 to date, Dr Mussa is the School’s Examination Officer. Dr Mussa is also a member of the World Commission on Environmental Law since 2016.
Mussa, L. “Legal and Institutional Aspects of Community Engagement in Management of Mangroves in Tanzania Mainland”, IUCN, Workshop to Enhance Legal Capacity for Mangrove Management in Tanzania, Dar es Salaam, 21-22 February 2019
Urban Housing for the Poor in Tanzania: Policy, Law and the Reality, Law and Development Research Conference, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 20th -22nd September 2017
- Environmental Management as a Cross-Sectoral Issue in Tanzania: Examining Legal and Practical Challenges Posed by the Urban Land Use Planning Regulatory Framework in Dar Es Salaam City, University of Cape Town, IGLP African Regional Writing Workshop, 17th – 23rd January 2016
- Illegal Dealings in Wildlife and the Law in Tanzania: Examining Pertinent Issues and Challenges with Respect to Poaching and Illegal Wildlife Trade, Tanzania Wildlife Poaching and Trafficking Workshop, Arusha, Tanzania, 8th – 9th March 2016
Books and Book Chapters
- "Harmonization of the Cybercrimes Legal Frameworks in Rwanda" in Majamba, H.I & Mwiburi, A.J, (Editors), Harmonization of Cybercrimes Legal Frameworks within the East African Community, Dar es Salaam: University of Dar es Salaam, 2020, 55-78.
- Materu, S.F & Mussa, L., “Pre 2015 Policy and Legislative Framework for Oil and Gas” in Kweka, O. L & Majamba, H.I(Eds), Scientific, Legal and Socio-economic Aspects of Oil and Gas in Tanzania, Dar es Salaam: University of Dar es Salaam, 2018
- “Freedom of Expression and Media Laws in Tanzania: A Critical Appraisal”, Media Council of Tanzania, 2011.
Longopa, E. & Mussa, L., “Rufiji Delta Policy, Legal and Institutional Framework Study”, Wetlands International, 2018
- Mussa, L., “Policy and Legal Framework Analysis on Seeds in Tanzania”, Tanzania Organic Agriculture Movement (TOAM), 2018
- Mussa, L., “Integrated Planning to Implement the CBD Strategic Plan and Increase Ecosystem Resilience to Climate Change: Tanzania’s Contribution to the Convention on Biological Diversity and Aichi Targets 7 and 11”, International Union for Conservation of Nature, 2016.
- Majamba, H.I., Longopa.E & Mussa, L., “Legal Review Note on the Re-Alignment of the Boundaries of the Kilombero Game Controlled Area”, KILORWEMP & MNRT, 2016.
- Short-term consultant, “Land Use and Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment in Mpanda and Nkasi Districts”, International Union for Conservation of Nature – Tanzania, 2016.
- Majamba, H.I. & Mussa, L., “Integrated Spatial Planning Study: Case Study of Tanzania”, International Union for Conservation of Nature, 2015.
- Integration Process and the Land Question in the East African Community: Prospects and Challenges of Partner States' Policies and Legislation", Vol 45, No 2, (Special Issue), The African Review, December 2018, 188-198.
- Foreign Investments and the Future of Customary Land Rights in Tanzania: Examining Legal Challenges under the Land Acts, Vol.2, Nyerere Law Journal, 2014.