Dr. BARAKA F. KANYABUHINYA
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- 1999-2003: Government of Tanzania Bursary, to pursue LLB Program at the University of Dar es Salaam.
- 2002: University Prize, Awarded by the University of Dar es Salaam namely: Certificate for Excellent Performance for being a Student with higher marks in Third Year University Examinations.
- 2002: University Prize: Certificate for Excellent Performance for being a Student with Higher Marks (B+ or above) in Family Law and Development.
- 2003: University Award for being final best student for the LL.B Class of 2003.
- 2004: Certificate for successfully completing the Mediation Skills for Intellectual Property and Commercial Disputes (Practical course conducted by the John Paul Jones Group- U.S.A).
- 2004: Sibley Foundation of Chicago Bursary to pursue LLM Program at Franklin Pierce Law Centre (now University of New Hampshire).
- 2007: University of Dar es Salaam Bursary to pursue Ph.D studies at the University of Dar es Salaam.
- 2007 : WIPO/WTO sponsorship to attend and participate in the Colloquium for Teachers of Intellectual Property in Geneva-Switzerland.
- 2007: WIPO Worldwide Academy Certificate for successfully completing the Distance Learning of “General Course on Intellectual Property.”
- 2008: Links scholarship of the University of Dar es Salaam, to St. Olaf College in USA to develop PhD proposal.
WORKSHOPS ATTENDED AND PARTICIPATED
- November 2005: A Training Course on Effective Teaching Methodology in Higher Learning Institutions, held at the University of Dar es Salaam.
- December 2009: Training of Trainers Course for Staff of the Legal Sector Training Institutions which was conducted in Arusha.
- March 2010: A Course on Advanced Teaching Methodology held at the University of Dar es Salaam.
- March 2010: Certificate of Recognition for Successful Completion of the Workshop on Intellectual Property Infringement: “Combating Health and Safety Counterfeit Products in the East African Community;” held in Dar es Salaam.
- August 2015: Research Workshop on Eastern African Common Legal Space in Economic Law: State of the Art and Future Perspectives, with consideration of the European Experience, held in Dar es Salaam.
- August 2015: Staff Seminar on East African Community and Comparative Regional Integration Law held in Dar es Salaam.
- 2011: Advocate, Public Notary and Commissioner for Oath, Tanzania.
- 2015 to date: Lecturer in Law, School of Law, University of Dar es Salaam.
- 2005 to January 2015: Assistant Lecturer in Law, School of Law- University of Dar es Salaam.
- 2004 January to May 2005: Tutorial Assistant, School of Law, University of Dar es Salaam.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND POSITIONS
- 2015 - Present: Head of Department, Private Law, University of Dar es Salaam-School of Law.
- 2015 May- Present: Course Coordinator-Economic and Cybercrimes Law, University of Dar es Salaam-School of Law.
- 2014 (December) to May 2015: Coordinator, Undergraduate Studies; School of Law, University of Dar es Salam.
- 2005-2007: Course Coordinator, Intellectual Property (LW 529), School of Law, University of Dar es Salam.
- 2006 to Present: External Examiner for Mzumbe University.
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
- Legal Challenges in Addressing Counterfeit Goods in Tanzania Mainland: The Right of Consumers’ to Redress (Doctoral Thesis, University of Dar es Salaam, 2014).
- Several papers, participation in workshops and presentations on: Intellectual Property, Data Protection, Competition Law, Traditional Knowledge/Folklore Protection and Consumer Protection.
SUBJECTS FREQUENTLY TAUGHT
- Business Law, Family Law and Intellectual Property law for undergraduate Students; Advanced Competition Law, Business Law and Ethics, Competition Law and Policy, Consumer Law, Regulatory Framework and Corporate Finance and Insolvency Law for Postgraduate program.
SPECIFIC TASKS RELATED WITH COMPETITION LAW
- 2012-Present: Lecturer and seminar supervisor in Advanced Competition Law for Taught LLM (Commercial and Corporate Law) Stream, University of Dar es Salaam, School of Law.
- 2012-Present: Lecturer in Competition Law and Policy for Masters of International Business Class, University of Dar es Salaam, Business School.
- 2012-Present: Supervised various graduate research Papers addressing various topics on Competition Law. The titles and supervisees are listed herein below:
- 2014 to Present: Teaching TGCL Program- a course titled Regional Integration Law.
TAUGHT MASTER GRADUATE ESSAYS SUPERVISED
- Merger Control: Comparative Analysis of the European Community and Tanzanian Legal Regime (by Kessy William-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Price Fixing by the Law Society of Kenya: Law and Practice(by Mbulula G. Msangi-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Competition and Consumer Protection in Tanzania: Law and Practice (by Hildagada Ktaraiya-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Protection of Consumers Against Price Increase of Consumer Goods: Case of Kariakoo(by Russumo S. Mbonimpa-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Competition Law and Practice with Special Reference to Regulation of Fuel Prices in Tanzania(by Mhina G. Mathew -LLM candidate, 2014)
- Legal and Practical Challenges of International Enforcement of Competition Rules(by Saddy Rashid-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Competition Law and Intellectual Property Rights: How they Co-exist in the same Jurisdiction(by Dennis P. Odera-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Adjudication of Competition Disputes in Tanzania: Law and Practice(by Kitandu P. Ugulla-LLM candidate, 2013)
- The Essence of Lenience Policy in Law and Policies in Governing Cartels in Tanzania(by Mwangolombe G. Ambikile-LLM candidate, 2014)
- The Challenges of Non-state Control in Fixing the Fee Structure for Private Schools and the Role of Fair Competition Rules in Tanzania(by Igenge S. Edwin-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Salient Features of Competition Law and Policy: Comparative Analysis of the EU Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and the EAC Competition Legislation(by Simon S. Nkanyemka -LLM candidate, 2013)
- Effectiveness of the Fair Competition Act 2003 on Protection of Consumers from Anti-Competitive Practices in Tanzania(by Sylvia E. Kaungamanio-LLM candidate, 2013)
- Legal and Practical Challenges of Private Enforcement under the Fair Competition Act, 2013(by Bakaru Henry-LLM candidate, 2015)
- Non Codification of Criteria for Abuse of Dominance under the Fair Competition Act: Legal and Practical Challenges(by Mwakaje A. Amani-LLM candidate, 2015)
- Rules Relating to Barriers Influencing Entry into Tanzanian Markets(by Theresia M. Clemence-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Price Fixing in Tanzania: Law and Practice(by Moses B. Ndelwa-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Cartelization in the Petroleum Industry in Tanzania: Law and Practice(by Florida Lucas-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Challenges of Establishing Existence of Dominant Position for the Petroleum Industry in Tanzania: The case of Downstream Business(by Lilian Julius-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Enforcement of Competition Law in Tanzania: Challenges and Prospects(by Baitwababo Daniel-LLM candidate, 2013)
- Competition and Dominant Position: The Law and Practice in Tanzania(by Gabriel Maregeli-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Legal and Practical Problems in Enforcing Competition Rules in Tanzania (by Magafu Bituro-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Challenges in Implementing the East African Community Competition Act: A Comparative Study with the European Union(by Chaya A. Mlaki -LLM candidate, 2014)
- The Fair Competition Act 2008: A Critique in Relation to Consumer Protection(by Nancy Mushumbushi-LLM candidate, 2014)
- Adequacy of the Law Relating to the Protection of Competition in Tanzania: A Study of Consumer Protection in Tanzania(by George E. Korosso-LLM candidate, 2015)
- Legal Challenges in Regulating Ati-Competitive Agreements in Tanzania(by Ngogo B. Ephron-LLM candidate, 2015)
- The Role and Place of the Court of Appeal of Tanzania in Competition Related Disputes(by Mbadjo A. Hassan-LLM candidate, 2015)
- Legal and Practical Challenges in Implementing the Fair Competition Act in Tanzania(by Mwageni Alois-LLM candidate, 2015)
- Concerted Practice: Law and Practice in the Tanzania Competition Regime(by Charles P. Mtae-LLM candidate, 2015)
- Legal and Practical Challenges of Enforcement of Competition Law in Tanzania(by Nyandwi Rosemary-LLM candidate, 2015).
- 2013: Local Legal Expert on Data Protection Bill- meeting organized by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) on Harmonization of the ICT Policies in Sub-Sahara Africa, with the Tanzanian Ministry of Communication, Science and Technology; Presented on Data Protection and Privacy Bill, 2013.
MEMBERSHIP AND ROLES IN PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- 2011 to Present Member, Tanganyika Law Society and East Africa Law Society.
- 2011 to Present: Member, East Africa Law Society.
- 2005 to Present: Member, Legal Aid Team, University of Dar es Salaam.