DR. BENEDICT THOMAS MAPUNDA
Dr. Mapunda is a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Private Law. Dr. Mapunda has a Bachelor of Laws, LL.B in 1981-1984 at the University of Dar es Salaam-Tanzania, Master of Laws (LL.M) (1991 - 1993) at University of Dar es Salaam and PhD at University of Gent, Belgium (1995-2000).
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
1984 – 1994 State Attorney Grade II – Senior State Attorney Grade II
ADMINISTRATIVE POSTS (UDSM)
2002 August-June 2003 Associate Dean Administration –Faculty of Law UDSM
2003 July – 2009 June Head Legal Theory Department – Faculty of Law UDSM
2009 July-2012 July Head, Private Law Department
MEMBERSHIP IN BOARDS AND OTHER ENTITIES AT NATIONAL LEVEL
2003 – 2010 Board Member, Weights and Measures Agency of Tanzania
2009 – 2011 Member, Review Panel of SUMATRA
2011 – 2014 Part-Time Commissioner – Law Reform Commission of Tanzania
PUBLICATIONS, OPTHER WORKS AND CONFERENCE PAPERS
- General Principles of Criminal Liability
ISBN 9987 0 00177
Publisher: National Printing Company (KIUTA)
- Relevancy of Facts
ISBN 9987 0 0125 4
Publisher: National Printing Company Limited (Dar es Salaam)
ISBN 9987 0 0124 6
Publisher: National printing Company limited (Dar es Salaam)
- Production, Proof and Effect of Evidence
Publisher: Tanzania Printing Services Ltd.
Chapters in Books
- “Treaty Making and Incorporation in Tanzania” in Eastern African Law Review, Vol.28-30, December 2003.
- “Burden Sharing: Expanding Horizons of Assistance in Refugee situations” Orient Journal of Law and Social Science, (India), December 2004.
- “Writing Study Material for the Open University of Tanzania Law Students” The Open University Law Journal [ISSN 182] 5327] Vol.1 of July 2007.
- “Refugee Law in Tanzania: An Examination of the Law and Practice” Orient Journal of Law and Social Sciences (India) [ISSN 0973-7480], Vol.II issue 10, 2008.
- “Combating Narcotic Drugs in Mainland Tanzania: Legal and Policy Challenges and Responses Thereto” Eastern Africa Law Review, 2014.
- “Development of Economic Communities in Africa and Their Role in Safeguarding Refugee Rights: The Case of ECOWAS and EAC” Eastern African Law Review, 2015.
- “Regulation of Motor Vehicles Air Pollution in Tanzania: An Exploration of the Policy, Law and Practice” Zanzibar Yearbook of Law, 2017.
CONFERENCE & SEMINAR PAPERS
- “Sheria za Wakimbizi naTaratibu za Uhamiaji Katika Tanzania” a workshop paper presented at Bwawani Hotel, Zanzibar, April 2004.
- “Prosecution of Fisheries Cases” a paper presented in a Seminar of Fisheries officers of the SADEC region, in March 2006.
- “Fisheries Law Enforcement under the Law of the Sea Convention and Tanzania Law” a paper presented in a Seminar of Fisheries Officers of the SADEC region, in March 2006.