Dr. Ringo Willy Tenga
Ringo Willy Tenga is a Lecture at the Department of Private Law. He joined the School then Faculty of Law) in 1989. Before joining the University, Dr. Tenga worked as State Attorney (Trainee) at 1976. Dr. Tenga has a Bachelor of Laws degree, LL.B (Hons.) First Class School of Law, University of Dar es Salaam-Tanzania (1976), Master of Laws (LL.M) (1981) and Doctor of Philosophy ( Private Law), University of Dar es Salaam(1985).
Professional Status and Membership in Professional Bodies:
- An advocate of the High Court of Tanzania and Courts Subordinate thereto, save for primary Court
- Member, Tanganyika Law Society
- Member, Law Association of Tanzania
- Member, Legal Aid Committee, University of Dar es Salaam he has been chairman from 1990- 1992
Other Associations and Organization
- Member, Amnesty International (Tanzania Section)
- Board Member, Canadian University Services Overseas (CUSO) 1987-1990
- Member, Consumer Association of Tanzania
- Member, Defence for Children Internation.
- Board member, Legal and Human Rights Centre, (LHRC) Tanzania1997-August 2007
- Board of Trustees, Tanzania Legal Education Trust (TANLET)
- Chairman, National Consumer Advocacy Council- (Under the Auspices of the Fair Competition Act, 2003) 2005-2010
Extra Curricular Activities:
- Part-time Tutor in law Transport (Institute of Transport0, Dar es Salaam 1979-1981
- Part-time Tutor in Private (contracts and Torts), Institute of Adult Education, Dar es Salaam 1978-81
- External Examiner- Institute of Development Management and Public Administration, Mzumbe, Morogoro – in Ordinary Diploma in Law, 1985;1986/87; 1987/88.
- Supervisor of Research projects for Advanced Diploma in Land Management & Valuation, Ardhi Institute, Dar es Salaam, 1985/86.
- Chairman, Child Law Reform Group, The Law Reform Commission (GoT), 1988-90
- Part-Time Lecturer in Land Law and Jurisprudence, Open University 1998-2001.
- Parttime Lecture in Land and Jurisprudence, Tumaini University (Dar campus) 2007-2010
- Instructor, CONVEYANCING, Law School of Tanzania (LST), from the Inception of LST to Date.
- Member, Bank of Tanzania Task Force on MORTGAGE FINANCING Legislation, 2007.
- Member, Working Group, on UNIT TITLES ACT, 2008, Unit Titles DRAFT REGULATIONS, 2009.
- Fullbright Scholar:-Scholarship granted by the U.S Government, tenable in the U.S.A 1981 – 1984.
- Tenga, R.W. “The Dilemma of the Marxist interpretation of Legal Theory” in Vol.8 UDL.J, 1978 (With M.R.M. Lamwai)
- Tenga, R.W.” Land Law and the Demand of Land to the Tiller in Tanzania: Some Notes” Vol.II UDSLJ (Accepted for Publication)
- Tenga, R.W.” The Historical and Social – Economic Approaches in Learning the Law: Dar Es Salaam and 3rd World Perspectives in jurisprudence” (1986, in I.G Shivji, ed., Limits of Legal Radicalism PP. 95-116)
- Tenga, R.W.” Land Law and the Peasantry in Tanzania: A Review of the Post – Arusha period” in Vol.3 (i) Eastern Africa Social Science Research Review (EASSR) of January 1987.
- Tenga, R.W. and M.C Mukoyogo, “ Teaching Jurissprudence in Tanzania” in Marco Guadagni: Legal Scholarship in Africa pp. 151-173 (Universita Degli Studi d: Trento, Italy, 1989).
- Tenga, R.W. “Effect of Rent Control-Measures on the Rental- Housing Market in Tanzania” in HABITAT (1990) Rental Housing Proceedings of the Expert Group Meeting to Review Rental Systems and Rental Stability held at the Institute for Housing Studies, Rotterdam, Netherlands 9-13 October, 1989 (Habitat, Nairobi, 1990) pp. 180-185.
- Tenga, R.W.” Child Labour in Tanzania” A study undertaken with G.J.Makusi, Dr. A.D.Kiwara, Dr. I.F.Shao of IDS for International Labour Organization (1LO)(Geneva) November 1990.
- Tenga, Ringo W. Pastoral Land Rights in Tanzania: A Review Land [Tenure Series, International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) 1992, London.]
- Tenga, Ringo and George Kakoti, “The Barabaig Land Case Mechanics of State-Organised Land Grabbing in Tanzania” in IWGA”… Never Drink from the Same Cup”, (Copenhagen, 1993) by the Faculty of Law, UDSM at Main Campus, 25-29th May 1987 (with M.K.B.Wambali
- Tenga,R.W.”Types OF Carries and their contractual obligations: A general outline” presented at the Seminar on Transportation Law organized by the Faculty of Law, UDSM, at Main Campus, 25-29th May 1987(with C.K.Mtaki).
- Tenga,R.W.”Land Policy and Law in Tanzania: An appeal for Action” paper presented to the Commonwealth Association of Planners (CAP African Regional Conference at ARDHI INSTITUTE, Dar es Salaam, 6th- 21 May 1988.
- Tenga, R.W.” Notes on a Report Entitled: The Implications of the Regulation of Land Tenure (Established Villages) Act, 1992 for Peasant Land Tenure Security and Natural Resources Management and Conversation” By the Land Tenure Group, UDSM, June 1993 (Mimeo UDSM)
- Tenga, R.W. “Decentralization and Challenges of Equity in Local Governance”. Paper presented to the Institute for African Development for the World Food Day Symposium (October 24th – 25th, 1997) at Cornell University Ithaca, New York.
- Tenga, R.W.” The Village Land 1999, and its implications to Peasants and Pastoralists.”Paper presented to a Monthly Seminar at LARHI, Organized by HAKIARDHI, June 1999.
- Tenga, R.W.” Revisiting Judicial Activism: The Mkomazi Pastoralists’ Case in the Court of Appeal Paper presented to the 2nd Judges Working, September 1999, at the Faculty of Law, University of Dar es Salaam,
- Tenga, R.W.” Consumer Education: Right and Responsibilities” Paper presented to the Workshop sponsored by the Fair Competition Commission(FCC), MEDIA WORKSHOP, October 2007, New African Hotel Dar es Salaam.